Kavala, the “azure” town, an impressive combination of sea and mountain, is built amphitheatrically on the slopes of Mt Symbolo, It has an International airport, called “Alexander the Great” connecting Kavala with the rest of Greece and Europe, as well as a ferry boat and ship transportation.
In the traditional area of Panagia there is the Castle, the Old Town with the paved alleyways, the Imaret, the statue of Mehmet Ali and the Lighthouse.
The Prefecture of Kavala has many sightseeings:
- Philippi: the archaelogical area which got its name from King Philip the 2nd, father of Alexander the Great.
- The Baptisery of Saint Lydia, who was the first Greek female and European to be baptized by the Apostle Paul.
- In the Pangaion Mountain there are many worships such as the Ikosifinissa Monastery with a history of 2000 years.
- The famous mud bath resort of Krinides with its therapeutical qualities.
- Nestos river delta.
- Ammolofi beach.
- Thassos is the most beautiful island in the Aegean, suitable for daily trips.
- Many cultural and folklore events in beautiful sections of the town, such as the «Philippi – Thassos Festival», the «Sun and Stone» festival in the outdoor theatre of Nea Karvali, etc.
For a full description of the sightseeings you can visit the following site: